Thursday 25 July 2013

Rudolph Days - Christmas NBUS

NBUS...what a weird accronym! My friend Darnell @ http://www.djkardkreations.com/
penned this one...it stand for Never Before Used Schtuff.
You know what it is...we all have it. It is tucked away in drawers, folders, backets, and envelopes. You name it...we have it somewhere...or something somewhat like it! lol

Darnell penned this word and is on a mission to make NBUS cards this year. I have decided to join in on her parade. When the mood overtakes me, I will combine NBUS with my effort to use up my paper scraps...so it shall be cards of snippets as well as NBUS...oh my...that is a mouthful!

Here is my first try...I will be submitting this card to Rudolph Days at my friend Sarn's blog, Stamping For Pleasure. Making a Christmas Card on the 25th of each month for her challenge helps keep the finished cards number up so the Christmas season can be a little less hectic! There are some lovely Christmas cards submitted there so Christmas themed inspiration abounds.


My main NBUS item is the Kraft Christmas stocking tag. I got it for Christmas quite a few years ago. It came in a packet with a few other similar themed items that will eventually also turn up on NBUS cards. While I never liked it on it's own, I don't mind it combined with my stamped wreath image. 

The tag had a smaller, very narrow strip of tag that said, I BELIEVE. It sat at a weird angle and read backwards. I removed it and added the stamped and coloured wreath  to cover the spot where it used to sit. When that wreath looked a little bare, I added the 3D teddy from a dollar store page of decoupaged stickers. Another NBUS and another I couldn't imagine using as although I did like it, it just seemed too darned small to be a focal point. Combining it with my stamped wreath worked for me. A little Christmas red stickles added to the teensy berries on the wreath gave it just a touch of bling too!

So this is proof that something you never thought you would use, could work out after all.

Recipe: 
Card base and envelope - from my stash, originally Michaels, Recollections Kraft Corrugated
DP - from my stash; My Minds Eye Santa Claus
Cardstock - red and kraft snippets from my stash 
Dies - Marriane corner die blog candy from Shaz in Oz @ http://calligraphycards-shazinoz.blogspot.ca/
Bling - last of the snippets of teensy fire engine red bling on the card. This size is hard to find...while I do have some other shades of teensy red ones, I will be watching to replace these!
Embellishment -from my stash,  K and Co present with bow
Stickles - from my stash, Christmas Red
Stamp - unknown; I stamped this at a stamping class at my local scrapbook store and did not write down the name

I am entering this card is the following challenges:
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. CHNC Extra - Always Anything Goes, must be Christmas

34 comments:

Sharon said...

I love your card. The image is so cute and love the stocking tag.
Hugs Sharon. x

Christine Harrop said...

Your tag looks terrific on this card Maureen. Love the whole thing. Christine xx

Di said...

Brilliant card Maureen, both for Rudolph Day and using up snippets - a double whammy :) Love the way you managed to use the small teddy by layering onto the wreath background so he didn't get lost. And the stocking tag is great - a super card all round!

Hugs, Di xx

Sarn said...

Aww . . . cute Teddy Bear Chrimbo card there M! Congrats on successfully using up some NBUS.

Thanks for joining in with my challenge again.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Hi Maureen a fabulous card! Love the little bear on the central mat and the fabulous stocking on the tag! I am afraid I have far too much NBUS!!!! Susan x

mamapez5 said...

Well done on being the first to the post, and also for using so many "I'm not sure what to do with this" bits. They have made a super card. The little ted is just perfect. I didn't use many of my bits up this time, but at least I used the snippets I had created before they got to the snippets box! Happy Rudolph Day. Kate x

Kathyk said...

And what a fabby card too!

Well done on using your NBUS!

Kathyk

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Mo. I love the fact that you have adapted it to suit you and hence it is unique.
Well done.
xx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Mo, lovely card and I like the NBUS you've used on it. Unwittingly, I've joined Darnell's NBUS movement too for this Rudolph Day challenge by using a stamp set I've had for ages but not inked up ... now I feel virtuous :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Carol L said...

I too would have tossed that stocking away for another day, but you've used it to it's full potential on this great card! It goes perfectly with the cute little bear! Nice card!

Glenda Atkins said...

Fabulous, love the little dimensional teddy and tag with the stocking. Love it all actually!
hugs
Glenda

Hazel said...

This is lovely, Maureen. Thanks for linking for my CHNC challenge extra for July - hope to see you again soon. x

Neet said...

What a great name - must remember that NBUS - when I was clearing out the other day I found stamps that I haven't used in years - do I throw them - no, never - well some, but not many. Maybe another acronym for old stamps should be invented.
Love your card.
Hugs and Thanks for visiting me earlier - Neet 44 xx

Sue said...

Fabulous card as always Mo!!! its almost August omg I'm so excited lots of huggles Sue xxxxxxxxxxxx

JD/ Jill said...

Nicely done. I have following Darnell's example too, and Have been using my NBUS too. LOL

Sandy said...

Wonderful Christmas card - I love it!
Sandy

McCrafty's Cards said...

This is gorgeous Mo,I like the adorable image and the design.
Kevin xx

Mary Jo said...

Pretty card! I love the acronym and what it stands for!! Organizing and purging right now so am finding a lot of NBUS! Lol

Sandy said...

You are going to be missed. If only I could go with you. I love the United Kingdom. my summer so far is grand kids and more grand kids, a little travel and BAM factured my right hip!! Have fun!
Sandy

Pia S said...

I think it was a great idea to add some Christmas greenery behind that cute little teddy! And those corner die cuts of kraft are so decorative! A really sweet Christmas card - well done using your unused "schtuff"!

Sassy Raggedy said...

Wonderful card Mo...I love the colors and I am so envious at how many Christmas Cards you are getting done...Great job...Hugz, joann

Redanne said...

Well done for taking the wonderful Darnell's lead on NBUS! Your card is absolutely beautiful, I love the kraft. Hugs, Anne x

Darnell said...

I love your proof and agree that it worked out after all! Love your card!

Thank you so much for the shoutout, Maureen, and for hopping on the NBUS. I've ordered another fleet of buses to carry all of us on our wonderful journey to love our previously unloved schtuff! Your method of combing NBUS and Snippets is brilliant!!

Shelby said...

This is a beautiful card and love how you've used the kraft paper.

Shelby

meg said...

Love your card I have found the link to my card and posted it it is a free digi from desertdiva.

meg said...

Love your card have updated blog with link to digi free from desert diva

Kathleen said...

Great card and fab layout, managing to use up quite a few items in one go too.
Thanks for your comment.

Kath x

Bonnie said...

Love the little teddy bear and the Christmas stocking! A wonderful vintage style Christmas card!

MaryH said...

A wonderfully themed card. I liked every element you used, and your little Dollar store Teddy was just perfect. He just brought together the stocking, the wreath & made a beautiful card. Great use of your NBUS! This is a goal I need to commit to, along with you. TFS such a great card.

Wishcraft said...

Fab layout and details, lovely card :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Peanut said...

How cute is that teddy. And what a brilliant idea to add the evergreens behind him. Fab card, Maureen.
xxx Asha
Sunny Summer Crafts

Karen said...

Love the wreath and the cute teddy bear! Always a good combination to have teddies on the card, they go with anything nearly! Will be doing Darnell's idea too! Karen x

Tracy said...

Another great Christmas card.
So have you filled your Christmas card list yet.

MagsB said...

What a sweet Christmas card - and how cleverly you used your Never Before Used Schtuff! I have so much NBUS, and also so many Snippets, too! I vow to try to used both lots of Schtuff up - thanks for the inspiration!!

love Mags B x