Tuesday 3 June 2014

What...Window screens??? Card 22

Well, it is back to the cogs...This time I inked them with a variety of chalk inks in blue, green, purple, silver and black. I then wiped them with silver coloured Viva Gold. I like the overall look of this technique as the cogs look like old oxidized metal.

This time I combined the "oxidized metal"cogs with some plain black cogs. I used pop dots to raise some of them forward. I was happier with how the cogs turned out on this card. Third time lucky!
I chose a denim looking woodgrain paper for the bottom half of my background...cuz it reminded me of blue jeans. Wish I had thought to look in my mending basket and cut off a hunk of blue jeans to make a bow or a ribbon strip to run horizontally, overtop of the screen...oh well...next time, I guess!

While organizing my room, I found some hunks of window screening. I uses this on my scrapbook layouts about 15 years ago.  I remember I thought it was so cutting edge...hahahahaha

I moved it into my masculine cards drawer and you will see it resurface now and again till it is all used up.  My scraps campaign is paying off as I am noticing a small dent in my bits and bobs, and also see a slight reduction in the number of card bases and envelopes I have on hand. I have been making an effort to make both 5 1/2 inch square and 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch rectangle cards. I seem to have hundreds of the latter so may have to start making many, many more of those type.

****************This is card #22 of 50. I am on a consumables spending freeze until I have made 50 cards (Sook Wang tape and heavy weight card stock are exempt).***************

Recipe
Card base and envelope -  from my stash
DP - snippet of Forever in Time black clock paper, snippet of 12x12 blue woodgrain  from my stash
Card Stock - snippets of white and black card stock for the die cuts
Dies - Spell binders Sprightly Sprockets and also S/B Petite Circles
Stamp - PSX  (the date on this stamp is 1999)
Screen - a snippet of window screen from my stash
Viva Gold - silver paste from my stash

I am entering this card in the following challenges
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge - must cover card with paper
3. The Cheerful Stamp Pad - #87 Sentiment
4. Moving Along with the Times - No image
5. A Song In Your He(ART) - Gift of Wings (I think that exploring things that are creative and move, leads to a sense of wonder)
6. Paper Issues - The World is a Circle

23 comments:

jimlynn said...

Oh, I love the look of those cogs! They really do look like metal and I love your card. Great design too!
Lynn

Pat said...

A great card Mo, and I do love what you have done with those cogs to age them and a really lovely design.
I think you are really good to try to use up your old stash, and I think that is something I should be doing more of. x

Tracy said...

Awesome card!!!
You are "cutting edge" with using the window screen, so neat.

Michele said...

i love the vibe of this creation! thank you for joining our "use a sentiment" challenge at the cheerful stamp pad! come back again. xo

Brenda Brown said...

Love all those cogs together, a great male card. Good luck with the spending freeze xx

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Brilliant Maureen the cogs look amazing! I think I'm with you now on the cards!! Susan x

Jo said...

Love this card Mo, those cogs look just brilliant...great job!
hugs Jo x

Di said...

Gosh Mo, this is fantastic. Love how you aged the cogs and great idea to use a piece of window screen too!

Sorry I'm a bit late visiting - playing catch up here :)

Hugs, Di xx

Carol L said...

This one is over the top edgy, masculine and very artsy! I love the piece of screening with those weathered cogs! NJ!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Awesome masculine card! I'm loving all of the gears. This would be perfect to link up to Paper Issues The World is a Circle linky party. If you link up and link back you're eligible for a huge prize from Ruby Rock-It. :) http://paperissues.blogspot.com/2014/05/new-issue-world-is-circle.html

Pia S said...

This is a brilliant masculine design, Maureen! I love the "industrial" feel of this card and you've created a great metallic look for the cogs!

MagsB said...

Those cogs look terrific, hun! What a great card!

I am also trying to use up my stash. But it's soooo hard to cut into papers I've been loving and cuddling for years! It has to be done! I like your goal of making 50 cards before spending any more - and I bet my bank manager would like it, too! lol!!

love Mags B x

Hazel said...

Thanks for sharing your super card, Maureen, for Cheerful Stamp Pad challenge 87: use a sentiment, Hazel, DT - hope to see you again soon - hope to see you again soon - thank you also for entering this for my Patterned Paper June challenge x

Sue said...

Awesome card Mo!!! those cogs are really good I love everything about this card you have done a great job! huggles from us all here Sue xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sassy Raggedy said...

I love your creativity. I never know what to expect from you and that makes it fun. Wonderful card. Hugs, joann

Jules said...

Hi Mo

Loving all the fabby layers on this . .. and the window screening! It looks great alongside the cogs.

Great card!

Hope you are having a good week.

Love Jules xx

Greta said...

Such a cool card! I adore your use of the window screen--great element!

Darnell said...

Gosh and golly, what a lot of brilliant texture and delight, Maureen!! Great use of snippets and good for you to set your self-imposed consumables challenge! If you run across any virginal schtuff, come on over to the Playhouse and join my NBUS challenge! Have a great weekend! Hugs, Darnell

Words and Pictures said...

The finish on those cogs is really, really cool! I love the design too, so dramatic and full of movement!
Alison x

Crafting Vicky said...

Love the use of the screen. I wouldn't have thought of using that. Great cogs and masculine look!!!

Thanks for joining our fortnightly challenge here at A Song in your He{art}. Hope you will join us next time DT Crafting Vicky.

cotnob said...

This is a brilliant card Maureen, fabulous design and wonderful texture.
Pauline
x

Vicki Romaine said...

Very creative. Love it. Thanks for sharing at The Cheerful Stamp Pad.

Deanne Saunders said...

Cool card!!! Thanks so much for participating in our A SONG IN YOUR HE{ART} challenge!! Hope to see you again for our next challenge!!
~DEANNE~
A Little Bit O' Paper