Sunday 4 September 2016

Christmas Card Club - Winter Scene

Rachel @  http://fisherscardsandcrafts.blogspot.ca/ chose a Winter scene as the theme for this fortnight's Christmas Card Club. This was a great theme for me as I had picked up a Stampin' Up winter scene stamp at Value Village a few seeks ago, and this gave me an opportunity to finally get it inked!



I inked this NBUS image with Momento grey and then carfully dabbed some Prima Ingvild Bolme Moss Green ink over the grey, wherever there were trees. I then stamped it onto a snippet of some VOS (Very Old Stuff) cloudy looking card stock. I then chalked two shades of brown chalk to give the impression of a dirty forest floor. and then added some Frosty Lace stickles to the trees. That seemed to just blend in and not really look like snow so once it dried, I painted over top of it with some VOS White Opal Liquid Pearls. While that was still wet, I quickly dumped some Pearl White Ultra Fine Glitter over top. Finally I had some snow.

I then did two things which I really regret. I painted some globby trails of the Liquid Pearls across the dirt to look like snow drifts, and dumped more pearl glitter of them. I think they look like a two year old created them!

While I was on a roll of wrecking this card, I outlined the church with a Gelly Roll Silver star pen. I quickly realized that although Stampin' Up products are usually so lovely, this stamp has the church sort of lop sided looking. I wish I had just left it stamped in the Momento grey. It was not as noticeable then...sigh...

I opened a NBUS DCWV foiled stack and chose an aqua foil paper to cover my card base as well as mat the image. I then cut into a NBUS 12x12 BoBunny Snowfall Cabin DP as I liked the light and dark aqua embossed glitter swirls.

This was a very hard card to photograph. Every way that I turned it, I got horrid glare. In this photo the aqua mirri card looks silver in some places...just from the way the light catches it. It always amazes me how you can see your errors so clearly in the blown up photos. I did not notice till I posted this card how the snow on the large tree looks strange. Like it blew off in a straight line, slicing right down the middle of the tree...lol

As you can see, I used lots of NBUS (Never Before Used Stuff), so you can probably guess where I will be entering this card. Yep, it is Darnells NBUS #7 Challenge where if is  Anything Goes as long as it is NBUS.

I hope you can find the time to play along. Darnell is just home from her trip across England where she managed to meet up with so many of our British card making friends. This impacted her decision to forgo prizes for Challenge #7.  Let's try to show that it is not only prizes that lure us, but virtual friendship and respect for the challenge host.
You can submit 3 NBUS cards and her challenge runs till Sept 5th.

I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Chrsitmas Card Club - Winter Scene
2. Djkardkreations 7th NBUS Challenge -must use NBUS
3. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets (my only snippet is the piece of cloudy card that the image is stamped on)


23 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I love this card Maureen and can't see a problem with your snow or the church. I love the papers you've used as well.

Sue xx

Valerija said...

Great winter scene. Love the trees.
Have a lovely sunnday.
Valerija xx

Christine Harrop said...

Hi Maureen, I love your card. If you hadn't mentuoned that the church was crooked we would never have known - and it is so slight as to be barely crooked at all. Isn't it disappointing when you buy a stamp that is not right? I have not made a card for your CCC challenge but I still intend to do so!! Hope you are well. Hugs Christine x

Carol L said...

This turned out just lovely! The mirror card and fabulous colors combined with the glittery snow-covered trees make for one pretty card! Well done!

Rita said...

Beautiful card as Always Maureen. Hope your well. Hugs Rita xxx

Di said...

This is a fabulous card Mo! Perfect scene and such glorious colours too. I didn't even notice the church until you wrote about it :)

Great to see you in the Playground too.

Hugs

Di xx

brenda said...

It's an extremely elegant Christmas card Mo and has a real vintage feel to it.

B x

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
don't be so critical with your self this is a gorgeous card, and I love everything about it.
It's wonderful scene, and those snow drfts look great.
I love the auqua coloured mirri paper also it's super.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

dutchess said...

What a super winter scene MAUREEN....and not a bit as you describe...it's lovely....sparkly and wintery...perfect! Xxxxxxx

Mrs A. said...

My first impressions of looking at this card was to think I like the snow effect at the base of the trees and then I read your post and see that you don't like it at all. I think we can be our own worst critc at times. Hugs Mrs A.

Liz said...

Beautiful card, Maureen. Don't be so hard on yourself. You must know some amazingly talented two year olds if you think any part of your gorgeous card could be done by a two year old! xx

PS I have some blog candy to give away on my blog. :-)

Linby said...

Well done on using NBUS with this great Christmas card - so pretty.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Lovely stamped fir trees and a beautiful winter scene Maureen.
Lorraine

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Maureen, such a lovely scene and fabulous background.
Pauline
x

Kathleen said...

Beautiful card Mo, love the background in the brown and teal, lovely trees and I can't see anything wrong with the snow.

Kath x

Gibmiss said...

Fabby card Maureen...
Hugs Sylvie x

Whisper said...

Oooo what a simply stunning wintery scene and gorgeous backing paper, Luv Sam x

Pia S said...

Great job stamping this scene in perfect trees and ground colors, it's a beautiful and peaceful look.

MaryH said...

Actually I think your snow looks fine, all of it! You had some good ideas for creating 'snow' too, and I hope I can remember what products you used! Lovely scene to meet the challenge, and I'm liking the blue mats that pick up the colors in the background papers. You're being way too hard on yourself, cause this is a very pretty card. Plus you got in some VOS & NBUS! Good job on all of it! (sorry I missed Rudy Day this month. Will try to do better next time) TFS & Hugs

Sandra H said...

This is so lovely x

Darnell said...

Now you just stop picking apart your work of art, Maureen! All of your elements together make this a beautiful winter scene and that was the brief! I think it must be gorgeous and schparkly in person! Thank you so much for your thoughtful words of support and promotion for my challenge my friend! And, of course, thank you for playing!! Hugs, Darnell

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Mo, brilliant card, love the stamping and colouring. I hadn't noticed any crookedness, lovely background too, Kate x

Greta said...

Oh how pretty, Maureen! I love the snowy trees!